If your at-home dental routine is not up to par, you are putting yourself at risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and other health problems. Perhaps it’s time to revamp your routine and take better care of your teeth. Dr. Kenneth Krause and Dr. Katie Krause in Westfield, IN, Krause Dental can give you tips on maintaining a good oral health routine. They specialize in family dentistry.
What Your Oral Hygiene Routine Should Look Like
Westfield dental patients should include these must-have dental hygiene practices:
- Daily brushing: You should brush at least twice daily with an angled-head toothbrush for two minutes. Make sure you brush each surface of every tooth. If you are not sure which is the best toothpaste to use, Drs. Krause will recommend one that is approved by the ADA. Replace your toothbrush at least every three months to prevent bacteria build-up.
- Daily flossing: You should floss at least once each day after brushing. If you find string floss too unwieldy, easier to manage options include floss picks or a water flosser. The latter is a good option for young children. Flossing is important for removing trapped particles of food that can cause tooth decay.
- Rinse: After brushing and flossing, rinse with an antibacterial mouth wash to further reduce bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Minimize sugar intake: Keeping sugary foods and drinks to a minimum can significantly reduce your risk of tooth decay.
- Schedule dental visits: You should visit your Westfield family dentistry specialist biannually for a dental checkup and professional cleaning. In-chair cleaning removes plaque and tartar than normal brushing and flossing can’t eliminate.
Regular dental visits are an important aspect of caring for your oral health. If you are looking for a Westfield, IN, family dentistry specialist, call Drs. Kenneth and Katie Krause today at (317) 399-9329 to request an appointment.